Saturday, January 16, 2010




Friday was nice in that we got to get up a little later than usual, as devotions on Friday consist of singing on the wards. the docs aren't obligated to do this and my Shona singing voice is sub par, so i didn't go. i rounded on peds again, this time feeling a little more comfortable about the kids and my management on their issues. things surely are different here. For instance, if a child is malnourished, we'll give the mother Thorazine to make her lactate more. crazy. but, there is no formula and kiddos need to eat or they will not do well, so we "treat" the mom for a few days. John and I did a lady's fourth repeat cesarean. With no cautery, no blood, and no suction a little bleeding makes me a lot nervous. John and his mom left for Harare yesterday. April and Abbi spent the afternoon at "Kids Club," which is a "club" for AIDS orphans held at the hospital. The club does medical treatment, but also makes sure the orphans are getting proper nutrition. The girls had a great time just loving the kids, reading to them, and sharing time with them. I was the lone doc staffing the outpatient clinic yesterday. Like Wednesday , nothing seems to wind up being a minor deal. A quick sampling of the many people I saw would include:

TB in various and sundry presentations
HIV, chronic and acute
Severe malaria
end stage liver cirrhosis
uterine fibriods the size of a basket ball
pelvic tumor
abdominal tumor
progressive neuromuscular disease
osteomylitis
severe congestive heart failure
and lots, lots more.

I was the only one there and felt like things went OK, all things considered ( i don't speak the language, i have no idea how things work around here, etc.) I really need to invest some time in reading this weekend especially on HIV, TB, malaria, and hydrocephalus. Lots of people come really, really sick from a long way away. I admitted 4 or 5 people to the hospital.
Not much goes on during the weekends around here. I feel compelled to micromanage stuff, so I'll likely go down and check a few patients. It's a hard mix of adjusting to medicine under heavy resource constraints and treating the patients with excellent medical care.
I made eggs and fried potatoes and onions this morning. it was nice. the power was off, so i made them on the big gas stove. now there is a cool breeze coming in the window, the sun is shining and the birds are singing. the power is on and the water is working, so that's a winning combination.
Despite it being the rainy season, there has been no rain since the new year. This is horrifying, as the vast majority of people that I've met here seem to subsistence farm. The corn (maize) is midway through it's growing season. As corn meal is the staple food here, people will starve if no rain comes and the crops die. Last night, the clouds filled the sky and the wind blew leaves from the Plumeria tree outside of our door. Still, no rain. I have a better understanding now of Prov 25:14 "A person who promises a gift but doesn't give it is like clouds and wind that bring no rain." I guess I just understand the basic necessity of rain a little better now.

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Micah 6:8


No comments:

Post a Comment